Strategies for Sustainability
Now that a baseline for Canyons has been established through the NSAA Climate Challenge, we need to identify the company’s top sustainability priorities. The priorities were identified for the areas that would be the most impactful and make the most business sense.
- Establish a Sustainability Strategic Plan that supports the financial and business goals of Canyons Management Team, and stake holders. The plan will incorporate all priority items listed below as well as the hiring and training process.
- Conduct a baseline study of the current state of Canyons including its lodging properties and on-mountain facilities. Short Term and Long term goals will be created from this baseline.
- Establish an Environmental Team or Department that will be responsible for the management of all Environmental Programs.
- Establish a purchasing and procurement plan that supports Canyons Sustainability Strategic Plan that and transcends all levels of the resort.
- Reduce, Reuse, Recycle.
- Develop an innovative transportation system including a resort guest/employee transportation system that travels to Park City and Kimball Junction and runs on alternative fuels.
- Best Management Practices in construction of all new buildings and the modification of existing buildings.
- Responsible land use practices in all mountain construction that adheres to the Natural Resource Management Plan for Canyons Specially Planned Area.
- Develop a Guide and Community Outreach Program
- Research generating our own fuels and electricity through wind power, solar, and water, while continuing to purchase energy off sets contributing to alternative energy resources.