Sound City, Dave Grohl's 2013 film on the fabled recording studio, has won the public voting for the "Community Choice Screening." Canyons Resort will play host to the 2013 Sundance Institute Summer Series on select Friday evenings in August and September. With a strong history of serving as a cultural catalyst, the nonprofit Sundance Institute is once again presenting free outdoor screenings of Sundance Film Festival favorites.
- All screenings are free and will take place under the stars in the Resort Village at sunset, approximately between 8:30pm – 9:00pm.
- Please be aware that some films may contain adult content. Parents are strongly urged to find out more about R-rated films in determining their suitability for children.
- Please be aware that there may be some noise in the Village. We apologize for any inconvenience.
- Picnics, blankets and chairs are welcome.
- The Umbrella Bar will be open during the screenings.
- Parking is available in the Sundial Lodge parking lot.
- For the safety and enjoyment our guests, dogs are not allowed on the grass in the Resort Village during the film. Dogs are allowed on the paved areas of the Resort Village, but must be kept on a leash at all times.
- Take pictures and share them with us! Use #sundancelocals and @canyonsresort when you upload your photos on Instagram and they'll be added to our photo gallery.
2013 Sundance Institute Summer Film Series:
Information on Sound City:
Directed by Dave Grohl. 108 minutes, color + b/w, 2013 Sundance Film Festival Official Selection. Multitalented musician Dave Grohl of the Foo Fighters and Nirvana fronts a mission to resurrect the rapidly vanishing human touch behind the creation of music. When Sound City, a fabled recording studio, opened in 1969, it boasted a one-of-a kind recording console. Tucked away behind train tracks and dilapidated warehouses in the sunburnt San Fernando Valley, Sound City became rock ’n’ roll hallowed ground where music’s megastars captured their magic on analog tape for three decades.
The advent of the digital age ultimately sounded the death knell of Sound City. Grohl cobbles together a troupe of iconic musicians and singers who once called the studio home. Stevie Nicks, Neil Young, Tom Petty, Trent Reznor, Rick Springfield, and Paul McCartney are just some of the legends who jam with Grohl and create a brand-new album on that revered soundboard. Fasten your seat belts. Sound City, Grohl’s outstanding filmmaking debut, rocks the silver screen, not only unearthing music history but making it as well.
About Sundance Institute:
Sundance institute is a global nonprofit organization founded by Robert Redford in 1981. Through its artistic development programs for directors, screenwriters, producers, composers and playwrights, the Institute seeks to discover and support independent film and theatre artists from the United States and around the world, and to introduce audiences to their new work. The Institute promotes independent storytelling to inform, inspire, and unite diverse populations around the globe. For more information, please visit www.sundance.org/utah.