Little Miss Sunshine, a 2006 Sundance Film Festival Official Selection and 2007 Academy Award Winner, is about the Hoovers, a dysfunctional family of 6, as they journey to the Little Miss Sunshine beauty pageant...Canyons Resort will play host to the 2013 Sundance Institute Summer Series on select Friday evenings in August and September. With a strong history of serving as a cultural catalyst, the nonprofit Sundance Institute is once again presenting free outdoor screenings of Sundance Film Festival favorites.
- All screenings are free and will take place under the stars in the Resort Village at sunset, approximately between 8:30pm – 9:00pm.
- Please be aware that some films may contain adult content. Parents are strongly urged to find out more about R-rated films in determining their suitability for children.
- Please be aware that there may be some noise in the Village. We apologize for any inconvenience.
- Picnics, blankets and chairs are welcome.
- The Umbrella Bar will be open during the screenings.
- Parking is available in the Sundial Lodge parking lot.
- For the safety and enjoyment our guests, dogs are not allowed on the grass in the Resort Village during the film. Dogs are allowed on the paved areas of the Resort Village, but must be kept on a leash at all times.
- Take pictures and share them with us! Use #sundancelocals and @canyonsresort when you upload your photos on Instagram and they'll be added to our photo gallery.
2013 Sundance Institute Summer Film Series:
Information on Little Miss Sunshine:
Directed by Jonathan Dayton and Valerie Faris, written by Michael Arndt. R, 101 minutes, 2006 Sundance Film Festival Official Selection. Meet the Hoover family: Olive, a seven-year-old, slightly pudgy, aspiring beauty queen; her father, Richard, a struggling motivational speaker who can't help but push; and her mom, Sheryl, who has to bring her Proust scholar/brother, Frank, home after his failed suicide attempt. Frank has to stay with Sheryl's Nietzsche-worshiping son, Dwayne, who has taken a vow of silence until he is old enough to be a fighter pilot. Then there's Grandpa, recently kicked out of his nursing home.
When they are all forced to hop into the old VW bus to take Olive to the Little Miss Sunshine beauty pageant, this is either a portrait of the most dysfunctional family you've ever seen or the absolutely hilarious tragicomic journey of a family whose lives are in for a change.
About Sundance Institute:
Sundance institute is a global nonprofit organization founded by Robert Redford in 1981. Through its artistic development programs for directors, screenwriters, producers, composers and playwrights, the Institute seeks to discover and support independent film and theatre artists from the United States and around the world, and to introduce audiences to their new work. The Institute promotes independent storytelling to inform, inspire, and unite diverse populations around the globe. For more information, please visit www.sundance.org/utah.