CANYONS RESORT EARNS TOP TEN RANKING FOR FIRST TIME EVER BY SKI MAGAZINE
Welcome to Canyons Media Room. Please let us know what we can do to assist you in meeting your deadlines, crafting original features, and showing you why Canyons is truly one of the most captivating stories in the outdoor industry today. For more information contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Get notified of our new press releases via RSS here.
Lifts, Terrain, Access, Service among our 10 Reasons to Celebrate
PARK CITY, UT (Oct. 1. 2012) – The first election results of the season are official – Canyons Resort has been named a Top 10 North American ski resort for the first time in its history in the annual SKI Magazine reader survey.
Fueled by more than $50 million in infrastructure investment since 2010, lifted by the only enclosed heated-seat chairlift in North America, lauded for adding 300 prime acres of intermediate and advanced trails at Iron Mountain and fed by widespread upgrades in both resort village and on-mountain dining, Canyons earned the #10 overall ranking – a tremendous leap from #20 just three years ago before a massive resort transformation began.
“On behalf of the 2,000 guides (employees) who help our guests enjoy extraordinary experiences 365 days a year, I’m thrilled to share this news,” said Canyons managing director Mike Goar. “Talisker has invested so much – not just in money, but in time and people and dreams – that we’re grateful that the general public has responded so enthusiastically. This truly is a special mountain with incredibly diverse terrain, wonderful people and The Greatest Snow on Earth.”
Goar added that Canyons’ work is far from finished as this year will see the addition of new lodging and dining properties, three all-new terrain parks, the integration of a dozen Olympic and National team athletes into the resort’s Ultimate Mountain Experience fantasy camp and continuing work on an 18-hole championship golf course.
“Canyons has made a clear commitment to elevating its ranking through its infrastructure investments in the past three years,” said Chris Phillips, Publisher of SKI Magazine. “We like to think our survey merely validates what skiers and snowboarders are experiencing as they seek out the very best in North American winter vacations.”
The annual survey of more than 20,000 skiers and snowboarders reviews nearly every aspect of resorts ranging from access (Canyons was ranked #3) to terrain parks (#9) to lodging (#10) and dining (#11). The complete list of rankings will be listed in SKI Magazine’s October issue, due on newsstands Oct. 15.
Following are ten of the reasons why SKI Magazine readers love Canyons. To view this “Top 10” list as a photo gallery, please visit http://www.canyonsresort.com/toptenphotogallery.html.
For a selection of downloadable images or “Top Ten” b-roll video, please visit: http://www.canyonsresort.com/press_images.html
Top 10 reasons SKI Magazine readers love Canyons Resort
1. Access (Canyons ranked #3). Just 35 minutes from Salt Lake International Airport, Canyons is one of the closest ski resorts to an international airport in North America. Plus with Quick START*, register in advance at visitparkcity.com and ski or ride free the day of your arrival. (*Restrictions apply.)
2. Terrain Parks (#9). Skiers and snowboarders love the creativity that Canyons’ terrain park instills – from gongs to cars and from rails to Boxzilla. New for 2012-13, Canyons will introduce three distinct terrain parks for skiers and boarders of all ages.
3. Lifts (#12). New since 2010, the Orange Bubble Express and Iron Mountain Express helped Canyons jump 14 spots in “lift rankings” in SKI Magazine’s annual survey. The enclosed heated-seat Bubble increased the uphill capacity out of the resort village by 47% compared to the “old days”.
4. Terrain Variety (#15). From Ninety-Nine 90 to Alley Cat, Canyons covers nine mountains, serves up 182 trails and offers 4,000 acres of powdery caches, memorable groomers, three terrain parks, six natural half pipes – more than anyone can cover in one day. Iron Mountain opened up 300 uncrowded and previously uncharted acres of intermediate and advanced runs.
5. Dining (#11 for overall; #9 for on-mountain). Summit County Oxtail French Onion Soup (at the award-winning Farm restaurant), the Cumulonimbus Salad (turkey panzanella, diced cranberries, walnuts, fennel and more) up at Cloud Dine (9,200’) and the Wild Game and Vegetable Stew at Lookout Cabin –are just three reasons why Canyons’ dining is considered irresistible.
6. Lodging (#10). Nine lodging properties suit every budget and need, including two AAA four-diamond hotels (Grand Summit Hotel & Hyatt Escala Lodge) and the only alpine Waldorf-Astoria Hotel. As a bonus, there are full kitchens in the majority of our 1,500 village rooms.
7. Our people (#14). You deserve to be pampered on your ski getaway, so whether it’s the lift operator brushing snow off your chair, a wine recommendation from one of our servers or an extra turn-down treat at the Waldorf Astoria Park City, our guides create extraordinary experiences daily.
8. Off-hill activities (#12). Looking for a break from skiing or snowboarding? Canyons offers a winter Zip Tour, horse-drawn sleigh rides, guided snowshoeing, winter hiking, two spas and five year-round pools. Canyons Resort village is a destination unto itself on and off the mountain.
9. Weather (#13). Canyons averages 355” of The Greatest Snow on Earth, with champagne-dry powdery conditions from November to April – plus upgraded snowmaking just in case!
10. Après Ski (#14). Lifeguard chairs. Yep! Ski Beach comes with lifeguard chairs and decadent loungers as well – it’s the only place to be when the lifts close at 4 p.m. daily. The people-watching, kids’ activities and multiple outdoor decks make Canyons Resort village one of the most vibrant après ski scenes around.
Thank you SKI Magazine readers, and to all of our skiers and snowboarders!
The 2012-13 season opens Fri., Nov. 23. Book your vacation today at www.canyonsresort.com.
About Canyons Resort
With thrilling adventures across thousands of acres and nine mountains of majestic terrain, Canyons Resort, a Talisker mountain destination, is Utah’s largest and most dynamic ski and snowboard resort. Located in stunning Park City, Canyons is ranked as a Top 10 North American resort in SKI Magazine’s annual reader survey. Canyons’ lively resort village bustles with nine hotels including the Waldorf Astoria Park City, and two dozen dining restaurants like the award-winning farm-to-table venue, Farm at Canyons. The Orange Bubble Express (North America’s only enclosed and heated chair lift), Ski Beach (a lively après ski gathering area), Iron Mountain (featuring 300 acres of new terrain) and the fast-paced Zip Tour make Canyons a must-visit year-round resort. With Salt Lake City International Airport just 35 minutes away, Canyons is conveniently accessible from anywhere in the world. Learn why Canyons has long been a favorite of locals, visit: www.CanyonsResort.com.
Media Contacts: Canyons Resort & Talisker Mountain Incorporated
Steve Pastorino, Director of Public Relations (435) 615-3308; email@example.com
Murphy O’Brien Public Relations
Sarah Siler, Niki Jensen & Jillian Hunter