CANYONS’ EPIC SEASON OPENS NOV. 29
Welcome to Canyons Media Room. Please let us know what we can do to assist you in meeting your deadlines, crafting original features, and showing you why Canyons is truly one of the most captivating stories in the outdoor industry today. For more information contact us at email@example.com
Get notified of our new press releases via RSS here.
PARK CITY, UT (Immediate Release) – The largest and most dynamic resort in Utah, Canyons Resort, opens this Friday, November 29 showcasing vast and varied terrain, world-class hospitality and award-winning guest service. The 2013-14 season will be the first under Vail Resorts’ ownership, making Canyons – and Utah’s incomparable Greatest Snow on Earth – this year’s iconic destination on the most popular pass in ski industry history, the Epic Pass.
In Canyons Resort Village, the Red Pine Gondola will spin for the first time this season at 9:00 a.m. on Friday. Skiers and riders who have activated their free EpicMix mobile account will earn pins like “Blast Off!”, awarded to every EpicMix user for their first run of the season at Canyons. EpicMix is available for the first time ever in Utah beginning Friday and is downloadable for free from EpicMix.com.
For two years in a row, Canyons has been ranked in the Top 10 of SKI Magazine’s annual readers’ poll. Here are a few reasons why:
- $75 million in infrastructure upgrades in the past three seasons including the state-of-the-art “Orange Bubble” quad chair, still North America’s only heated-seat chairlift; 300 acres of new terrain at Iron Mountain and vastly improved snowmaking capabilities.
- Nine hotels anchored by the Grand Summit Hotel & Spa, Sundial Lodge, Silverado Lodge and the Waldorf Astoria Pak City provide families, couples and individuals options galore.
- More than two dozen restaurants including Resort Village favorites like The Farm, Umbrella Bar and Red Tail Grill.
“I’m especially excited for Opening Day this year,” said general manager Mike Goar. “Our team has put in a ton of work this fall to ensure our guests receive the ‘experience of a lifetime’.”
New and Noteworthy
- This will be Canyons first season as a member of the Vail Resorts family. Sold in all 50 U.S. states and 80 countries across the globe, the Epic Pass gives skiers and riders access to 26 iconic mountains in four countries, including unlimited, unrestricted skiing and riding at Vail, Beaver Creek, Breckenridge, Keystone, Arapahoe Basin and Eldora in Colorado; Canyons in Park City, Utah; Heavenly, Northstar and Kirkwood at Lake Tahoe; Afton Alps in Minnesota and Mt. Brighton in Michigan; five free days at Verbier, Switzerland; five consecutive free days at Arlberg, Austria; and five free days at Les 3 Vallées, France. Vail Resorts is offering the industry’s best-selling season pass at $729 for adults and $379 for children (ages 5-12). Epic Local pass offers 10 U.S. resorts, with some restrictions for $569 for adults and $429 (teens) and $289 (children). Information at www.epicpass.com. Available now through December 6.
- Jeff Lifgren takes the helm at Canyons Ski & Snowboard School after more than a decade at Breckenridge in Colorado. New innovations include the Ultimate 4 program, guaranteeing a 4:1 student: instructor ratio.
- Canyons Executive Chef Zeke Wray debuts several dazzling après ski dishes on Friday.
- The award-winning Farm Restaurant fuses Americana tradition with southwestern sizzle with the introduction of Chicken N Waffle Tacos.
- Inspired by two of Utah’s best-known local favorites, the Umbrella Bar will debut the Scone Burger, a mouth-watering beef patty served on a rosemary-infused Utah scone and with lip-smacking house made Fry Sauce.
- Just across from Ski Beach, Red Tail Grill diners will feast on the 4,000-Acre Burrito, offering 6-8 diners a 2 ½-foot long natural halfpipe stuffed with braised chicken, carnitas, steak and all the delicious topping.
Dates & Events
Although every weekend feels special at Canyons, here are some of our favorites:
November 29 Opening Day
December 14 International Women’s Ski Day
December 21 Santas Ski Free at Canyons
December 31 New Year’s Eve Celebration & Fireworks
January 16 - 26 Sundance Film Festival
March 15 Operation Smile Downhill Fundraiser
March 21-30 Spring Gruv
April 13 Last Scheduled Day of 2012/2013 season
About Canyons Resort
With thrilling adventures across 4,000 acres and nine mountains of majestic terrain, Canyons Resort is Utah’s largest and most dynamic ski and snowboard resort. Located in stunning Park City, Canyons is ranked as a “Top 10 North American Resort” in SKI Magazine’s annual reader survey. Canyons’ lively resort village bustles with nine hotels including the Grand Summit Hotel and Waldorf Astoria Park City, and two dozen dining restaurants like the award-winning farm-to-table venue, Farm at Canyons. The Orange Bubble Express, North America’s only enclosed and heated chairlift; Ski Beach, a lively après ski gathering area; Iron Mountain, featuring 300 acres of new terrain; Utah’s only lift-served gravity bike park and the fast-paced Zip Tour make Canyons a must-visit year-round resort. With Salt Lake City International Airport just 35 minutes away, Canyons is conveniently accessible from anywhere in the world. For more information, visit www.canyonsresort.com.
About Vail Resorts, Inc. (NYSE: MTN)
Vail Resorts, Inc., through its subsidiaries, is the leading mountain resort operator in the United States. The Company's subsidiaries operate the mountain resorts of Vail, Beaver Creek, Breckenridge and Keystone in Colorado; Heavenly, Northstar and Kirkwood in the Lake Tahoe area of California and Nevada; Canyons in Park City, Utah; Afton Alps in Minnesota and Mt. Brighton in Michigan; and the Grand Teton Lodge Company in Jackson Hole, Wyoming. The Company's subsidiary, RockResorts, a luxury resort hotel company, manages casually elegant properties. Vail Resorts Development Company is the real estate planning, development and construction subsidiary of Vail Resorts, Inc. Vail Resorts is a publicly held company traded on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE: MTN). The Vail Resorts company website is www.vailresorts.com and consumer website is www.snow.com.